Tips to Help Prevent Termite Damage in Wood Windows in Edmonton, AB
There’s no question that wood windows can add warmth and help increase the visual aesthetics in your home. One issue homeowners have with wood windows is the possibility for termite damage. Termites get most of their nutrition from wood, which can cause homeowners a lot of problems when it comes to structural damage.
So what can you do to help avoid termite damage?
The best way to help prevent termite damage is to eliminate or decrease the opportunity for termites to get in the immediate area of your home. Here are a few ideas from Pella Windows and Doors on how you can help lessen the probability of termite infestation.
- Keep Brush Away From Your House – Try to keep the ground area around your house free of any brush or rotting wood. Termites will use this as a route to get to the house. Especially for windows on the lower level, keep leaves, dirt and other brush away from the foundation and house.
- Properly Vent Your Home – Termites also search for water and moisture, so it’s critical to ensure your home, including small crawl spaces, are properly ventilated and allow air to flow.
- Clean Out Gutters – Clogged gutters create pools of water that are also attractive to termites, and conveniently for the termites— are close to the home. Make sure you don’t have standing water or leaves and sticks in your gutters.
- Fix Foundation Cracks – Seal up or fill any cracks in the foundation of your home. Most termites create their colonies in the ground, making your home’s foundation their greatest chance to enter the home.
- Protect Your Wood – Pella Edmonton has EnduraGuard® wood protection which offers advanced protection against the effects of moisture, decay, stains from mold and mildew – as well as termite damage.
- Call a Professional – Pest control firms can look at your home for any existing termite infestations or damage, and install the right protection system for your home.
If you want more information on wood windows and what steps you should take to help avert any damage, visit the Edmonton showroom or set up an appointment online to have one of our pros provide a free in-home consultation. You can call Pella Windows and Doors at 780-439-9344 to get started and make wood windows a reality in your home.