Looking for New Windows in Your Edmonton, AB Home? Pella has Tips to Help Make the Right Choice
When shopping for windows for your restoration or new construction project, you obviously want to choose the best windows for your project and budget. ponder the number of choices, ponder these facts:
- Windows can impact the interior and exterior look and feel of your Edmonton area home.
- The windows you pick can make a drastic difference in your home’s energy bills.
- The material and durability of your windows can have a significant impact on the long-term value of your Edmonton area home if or when you decide to sell.
If you take the time to research the style and function choices available, you will be delighted with your purchase and love the pleasure of gazing through your new windows for decades.
What questions should you contemplate when purchasing replacement windows for your Edmonton home?
- What do they look like? Consider the fact that you are going to view your replacement windows most often from the interior of your house, not standing outside of it. Observe your current windows or opening from inside and study the view carefully; does the style, color and type of opening (crank shaft or sliding) work with your home’s interior? Will you be able to easily open the window for cleaning? Can light flow into the home? And don’t forget to stand outside from many viewing positions to evaluate if the style of replacement window you are considering fits with the look of your Edmonton home.
- How energy efficient are the windows? Get the statistics relating to your windows that influence their energy efficiency. Specifics to consider are U-values and Low-E insulating glass with argon windows, and weatherstripping. For instance, U-values measure the insulating value of windows. The best windows have low U-values to help keep out extreme temperatures. Identify efficiency ratings beforehand to help bring down heating and cooling costs and receive the most value for your investment.
- Is it convenient to operate the windows? Just like purchasing your vehicle, it is important to try out the functionally of any window before you buy it. Can you open or shut the window easily? Will the window be easy to clean? Does the window hardware (or the crank handle) fold away in order to leave window blinds or shades undisturbed? If the window will be an exit from the home during emergency situations in case of fire, be certain it opens easily and provides an adequately-sized opening.
- How will you install the windows? Installing your windows is either added into the overall purchase price or involves an outside contractor. If you are using the services of contractor, it may be smart to inquire about installation price and included services prior to ordering your windows.
- How easy is it to clean your new windows? The weather in the Edmonton area changes often. Outdoor elements such as wind, rain and snow can impact the appearance of your windows. Consider low-maintenance options like aluminum cladding or in-between-the-glass grilles for an easier way of keeping your windows clean and looking great for years.
- What is available in terms of color and hardware options? Color selection reflects your style and increases the overall appeal of your Edmonton home. Some window producers offer limited exterior color options. Identify what color schemes are in place for the windows you want. Don’t forget, there are plenty of option to coordinate window hardware with other hardware options in your home, such as faucets, door knobs, hinges, and cabinetry.
- How much will you pay? Quality windows come at a price. The least expensive windows may not be your best buy. A quality window will be energy efficient and offer years of beauty and performance.
We encourage you to visit Pella at the Edmonton area Showroom to learn more about your choices, or give us a call at 780-439-9344.