Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Edmonton, AB?
Regardless if you are ready, the colder weather is arriving in Edmonton and there is still time to make sure the windows and door in your home are prepped for winter. Regularly checking your windows and doors can help ensure that your home remains and helps save on energy bills.
What can you do to prepare your windows and doors for colder weather?
- Ensure your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris left in windowsills or the moving parts on doors and windows can reduce the tightness and seal when closed.
- Examine your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to eliminate air from entering the home when windows and doors are secured. It can become loose or torn over time, so watch your weather stripping and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are ripped.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can harm exterior sealants and caulk. Remove damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Take a look at your exterior surface for signs of moisture leaking, that could include cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood helps to keep cold air and moisture from coming back into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors help to add an additional layer of defense from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this boost your privacy, but it also helps to insulate the house.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If your home still has single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, your heating bills may be higher than they need to be. Our experts can share information about newer, energy-efficient products.
If you would like to learn more about preparing your windows and doors for winter, contact your local Showroom in Edmonton at 780-439-9344.